Before going vegan, my favourite chocolate bar was Snickers. What’s better than peanutty chocolatey nougat goodness? Well, these are seriously a great substitute! They were initially supposed to be eaten at room temperature but I soon found out that they are SO much better when eaten straight from the freezer! I’d choose one of these over an ordinairy chocolate bar any day. Yum.
This recipe uses medjool dates, aka nature’s candy. They aren’t just damn delicious, they’re healthy too! Filled with fibre, potassium, magnesium, calcium and vitamin B6. If you give this recipe a try, let me know by leaving a comment or tagging #biancaeatsplants in a photo on Instagram!
- 200g vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 16 fresh medjool dates, deseeded
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I used Almond Breeze Unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp coconut flour (I got mine from Health Connection Wholefoods)
- 8 Tbsp golden syrup
- Blend medjool dates, peanut butter and milk together to form caramel. Add peanuts and stir with spoon to combine.
- Transfer caramel mixture to a freezer-friendly Tupperware container lined with baking paper. Use a spatula to level out the caramel mixture on the base of container.
- Blend peanut butter, coconut flour and golden syrup together to form the ‘nougat’.
- Top the caramel layer with the ‘nougat’ mixture and level out until smooth.
- Place container in the freezer overnight (± 8 hours).
- Once frozen properly, remove the container from freezer and remove filling using the baking paper to help you. Cut into 12 medium-sized bars using a sharp knife.
- To melt the chocolate, break the slab into smaller pieces and place in a microwavable bowl. Microwave chocolate on medium heat with the coconut oil for 60 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted.
- Use two spoons to help you coat the bars in chocolate.
- Leave the bars to cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes until chocolate has hardened.
- Store in freezer. (Tip: Remove from freezer 5 minutes before serving)
Total Time: 45 mins prep
Serves: 12 bars
*Note: Recipe loosely adapted from So Vegan.