Macaroni and cheese is my go-to comfort food. If I could only eat one meal for the rest of my life, it would probably be this mac and cheese. That’s how good this recipe is.
The sauce is creamy, cheesy and so simple to make. It gets its flavour from the vegan parmesan cheese and you’d never guess it’s dairy-free.
Seriously guys, you have to give this recipe a try. If you do, let me know by leaving a comment or tagging #biancaeatsplants in a photo on Instagram!
- 300g macaroni
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 4 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk (I used Almond Breeze)
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- Fill a large pot with water and cook macaroni pasta according instructions on package. Once cooked, drain the pasta and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, begin preparing the cheese sauce. Add olive oil to a large skillet and sauté garlic on medium heat, until golden brown.
- Add flour to garlic and stir. Immediately add milk to skillet and whisk for one minute (the sauce will be a bit clumpy — don’t worry about that, you’re going to blend it!)
- Transfer the sauce to a blender with the vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Transfer sauce back to skillet and warm until slightly bubbling. Add a couple more tablespoons of milk if you’d like the sauce to be thinner.
- Add your cooked macaroni to the skillet and toss pasta in sauce to coat. Top with another sprinkle of vegan parmesan before serving.
Total Time: 45 minutes