Am I the only one who is in love with anything pesto-y?
Traditional basil pesto has parmesan cheese in it, but this basil pesto is so delicious, you’d never guess it’s dairy free! The nutritional yeast gives it its cheesey flavour, the lemon gives the pesto a tang and the cherry tomatoes add such a perfect sweetness to this pasta dish. I also like using this pesto on pizza or in sandwiches/wraps — yum!
This pasta salad can be served hot or cold, and is good as leftovers as well! If you try this recipe, let me know! Don’t forget to take a photo and tag #biancaeatsplants on Instagram. Enjoy!
- 300-350g of penne pasta
- 2-3 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 80g fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Cook penne in a large pot of boiling water according to package instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, cut the cherry tomatoes and place them on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil, and add some black pepper and sea salt. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 180°C.
- Add your basil, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice and olive oil to the blender. Combine until a creamy pesto forms.
- Add the cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl. Pour in your pesto and combine. Mix in your roasted cherry tomatoes.
- Serve hot or at room-temperature, with some vegan parmesan cheese on top!
Total Time: 30 minutes